Low Vision Aids
Dr. Abha Wadhawan Mengi, DNB
Consultant Low Vision Aid Services
- There are certain diseases, congenital, hereditary or acquired ones that may lead to permanent partial or total loss of vision.
- The aim is to provide optical aids to patients whose vision is poor and cannot be improved with spectacles, in order to maximize the use of their remaining vision. No electronic devices are used.
- There are many causes of low vision, including, but not limited to, Macular degeneration, congenital defects present at birth, injury to the eye or brain, diseases like diabetes, glaucoma etc.
- There is a wide range of optical magnifying devices which can be used for a particular patient. Hand-held magnifiers, stand magnifiers, illuminated magnifiers, distance and near telescopic aids.
- The Computers and closed circuit television are also useful as low vision aids. A Visual Support Service is also available to provide advice on non –optical aids, home support, training to develop skills to cope with sight loss.